*Wouldn’t Simulated Intelligence be a more appropriate term than Artificial
Intelligence?*

Thinking of it objectively, if we have a program which can model a
hurricane, we would call that hurricane a simulation, not an ‘artificial
hurricane’. If we modeled any physical substance, force, or field, we would
similarly say that we had simulated hydrogen or gravity or
electromagnetism, not that we had created artificial hydrogen, gravity, etc.

By calling it artificial, we also emphasize a kind of obsolete notion of
natural vs man-made as categories of origin. If we used simulated instead,
the measure of intelligence would be framed more modestly as the degree to
which a system meets our expectations (or what we think or assume are our
expectations). Rather than assuming a universal index of intelligent
qualities which is independent from our own human qualities, we could
evaluate the success of a particular Turing emulation purely on its merits
as a convincing reflection of intelligence rather than presuming to have
replicated an organic conscious experience mechanically.

The cost of losing the promise of imminently mastering awareness would, I
think, be outweighed by the gain of a more scientifically circumspect
approach. Putting the Promethean dream on hold, we could guard against the
shadow of its confirmation bias. My concern is that without such a
precaution, the promise of machine intelligence as a stage 1 simulacrum (a
faithful copy of an original, in Baudrillard’s
terms<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulacra_and_Simulation>),
will be diluted to a stage 3 simulacrum (a copy that masks the absence of a
profound reality, where the simulacrum pretends to be a faithful copy.)