On 2/13/2013 5:40 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

    [SPK wrote} What difference that makes a difference does that make
    in the grand scheme of things? The point is that we cannot 'prove'
    that we are not in a gigantic simulation. Yeah, we cannot prove a
    negative, but we can extract a lot of valuable insights and maybe
    some predictions from the assumption that 'reality = best possible
    simulation".

I just realized how to translate that into my view: "Reality = making the most sense possible." Same thing really. That's why I talk about multisense Realism, with Realism being the quality of maximum unfiltered sense. Since sense is subtractive, the more senses you have overlapping and diverging, the less there is that you are missing. Reality = nothing is missing (i.e. only possible at the Absolute level), Realism = you can't tell that anything is missing from your perceptual capacity/inertial frame/simulation.

I don't like the word simulation per se, because I think that anything the idea of a Matrix universe does for us would be negated by the idea that the simulation eventually has to run on something which is not a simulation, otherwise the word has no meaning. Either way, the notion of simulation doesn't make any of the big questions more answerable, even if it is locally true for us.

Craig

I like the idea of a Matrix universe exactly for that reason; it takes resources to 'run' it. No free lunch, even for universes!!!

--
Onward!

Stephen