On 13 Feb 2013, at 19:23, John Clark wrote:

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Then why can't a one dimensional Turing machine do geometry,

> It can solve geometry problems,

Yes.

> but it can't generate geometric forms.

Can you generate geometric forms? Your fingers can draw a triangle but are you fingers you, if your fingers were cut off would you no longer be you?

> It has nowhere to draw a triangle and nothing to draw it with, no eyes to see it, and no mind to appreciate it as a form.

I don't know what your point is. Yes if you restrict a AI to one dimension then obviously it will not be able to draw a triangle, but you couldn't either.

> It can tell you all kinds of things about triangles, just like Mary can tell you all kinds of things about red, but there is no experience which is triangular.

Then give the AI experience with triangles, after all the brain of a real AI will be just as 3D as your brain.

> A universe generated by Turing-like arithmetic would not and could not have any use for multi-dimensional presentations.

A one dimensional Craig Weinberg would not and could not have any use for multi-dimensional presentations.

> Since we actually do live in a universe of mega-multi demensional sensory presentations, that means that comp fails

Fine, "comp" fails. I'm glad to be rid of it as I never even knew what the damn word meant and have become increasingly convinced that nobody else on this list knows either.

When you don't understand A -> B, you shouldn't infer that you necessarily don't understand A.

Comp is just the idea that the relevant activity, for consciousness manifestation, of the brain/body, is Turing emulable. Your posts illustrate that you do understand comp, and even defend it as true. You miss the consequences because you fail to distinguish the first person view of duplicated people, with a third person view of those duplicated people.

Your tone indicates that you avoid thinking further on the subject. I am still trying to guess why some people can act in that way.

Bruno





  John K Clark





--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en .
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.



http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to