On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:38:21 PM UTC-5, stathisp wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> >> Whether the
> >> intelligence has the same associated consciousness or not is a matter
> >> for debate, but not the intelligence itself.
> >

> > I disagree. There is no internal intelligence there at all. Zero. There
> is a
> > recording of some aspects of human intelligence which can extend human
> > intelligence into extra-human ranges for human users. The computer
> itself
> > has no extra-human intelligence, just as a telescope itself doesn't see
> > anything, it just helps us see, passively of course. We are the users of
> > technology, technology itself is not a user.
>
> I think you're conflating "intelligence" with "consciousness".

Funny, someone else accused me of the same thing already today:

"You've conflating 'real intelligence' with conscious experience."

Real or literal intelligence is a conscious experience as far as we know.
Metaphorically, we can say that something which is not the result of a
conscious experience (like evolutionary adaptations in a species) is
intelligent, but what we mean is that it impresses us as something that
seems like it could have been the result of intelligent motives. To fail to
note that intelligence supervenes on consciousness is, in my opinion,
clearly a Pathetic Fallacy assumption.

> If the
> table talks to you and helps you solve a difficult problem, then by
> definition the table is intelligent.

No, you are using your intelligence to turn what comes out of the tables
mouth into a solution to a difficult problem. If look at the answers to a
crossword puzzle in a book, and it helps me solve the crossword puzzle,
that doesn't mean that the book is intelligent, or that answers are
intelligent, it just means that something which is intelligent has made
formations available which my intelligence uses to inform itself.

> How the table pulls this off and
> whether it is conscious or not are separate questions.

I think that assumption and any deep understanding of either consciousness
or intelligence are mutually exclusive. Understanding begins when you doubt
what you have assumed.

Craig