On 18 Feb 2013, at 22:18, meekerdb wrote:

On 2/18/2013 11:47 AM, Terren Suydam wrote:

If God is arithmetical truth, then what if anything is there to be said about its "character"? I know from a formal perspective the answer is nothing, because nothing formal can be said about truth.

This is more of an informal question, and comes out of my innate desire to anthropomorphize.

Why would you suppose that your desire to anthropomorphize is anything other than wishful thinking? Do you also have a desire to anthropormorphize the periodic table? the solar system? the infinitesimal calculus?

If we accept the God of comp,

See, Bruno, this is what your use of "God" language leads to. You protest that you're just making a scientific theory of what is fundamental - but already people are turning it back toward a guy with a beard in the clouds.

Hmm... You might simplify too much what Terry said. And as I answered him, the relation between God (Truth) and the first person (True beliefs) , might give sense to some reasonable anthropomorphism, if not taking it too much literally.

I will not ask you to rename "Universe", despite when we use that term people begin to believe in Primary Nature and Stuff.

and come to see our experience as the view from the inside of a particular infinity of universal machines, then is there something to be said about what corners of arithmetical truth we "must" (or "most probably") be in that can help us relate in a more personal sense to this god?

A crude example question might be, if God did not have a sense of humor, could we exist? You could substitute other characterizations for other questions.

Given that we could in principle derive physics from the math of the UD - providing a (partial) answer to the measure problem - could we not also "solve" for the "character" of God?

Terren

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to everything- l...@googlegroups.com. Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en .

No virus found in this message.