On 2/19/2013 8:08 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 7:00 PM, Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net <mailto:stephe...@charter.net>> wrote:

    On 2/19/2013 12:26 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

    On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 4:58 AM, Richard Ruquist
    <yann...@gmail.com <mailto:yann...@gmail.com>> wrote:

        <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

        >> On 2/18/2013 11:47 AM, Terren Suydam wrote:
        >>

        >> If God is arithmetical truth, then what if anything is
        there to be said
        >> about its "character"? I know from a formal perspective
        the answer is
        >> nothing, because nothing formal can be said about truth.
        >>
        >> This is more of an informal question, and comes out of my
        innate desire to
        >> anthropomorphize.
        >>

        >> Why would you suppose that your desire to anthropomorphize
        is anything
        >> other than wishful thinking?  Do you also have a desire to
        anthropormorphize
        >> the periodic table?  the solar system?  the infinitesimal
        calculus?

        > Within comp, there are many minds that have infinite
        computations resources
        > at their disposal.  They can evolve forever, and approach
        infinite
        > intelligence and knowledge.  They all explore the same
        mathematical truth
        > and thus having the same data (that of mathematical truth
        they explore)
        > together with near infinite intelligence, they are almost
        never wrong on any
        > question or matter.  Thus, despite possibly different
        origins, they are all
        > of a like mind, opinion, and possibly character.  The
        number of fundamental
        > questions on which these super intelligence disagree goes
        towards zero as
        > their intelligence goes towards infinity.

        If our universe is holographic, the computational resources are
        limited to the Lloyd Limit of 10^120 bits, with a maximum
        possible
        10^122 bits
        Ref: http://arxiv.org/ftp/astro-ph/papers/0602/0602420.pdf

    I was not proposing that our universe could support infinite
    computational resources, but that some other universes might, and
    intelligent beings/civilizations in those universes are unbounded.

    Jason
--
    Hi Jason,

        Would you care to speculate whether or not those demi-gods (in
    other universes that have access to infinite resources) would have
    Platonist theories of mathematics?

Any question to me of the form "Do I think the demi-gods will believe X", boils down to "Do I think X is correct?". I think you know where I stand on Platonist theories of mathematics. Whether or not the demi-gods also believe it mostly depends on whether its correct or if it has more credence than the other alternatives.

Jason

Hi Jason,

It seems to me that the demi-gods would not be motivated to have Platonist-like ontologies. As I see things, only we of finite resources concoct such Platonist theories to give ourselves the illusion of superpowers to explain away the mysterious fact that we can understand mathematics. I have yet to see a neo-Platonist explain without hand-waving how it is that a physical brain can access knowledge from Platonia.

--
Onward!

Stephen