On Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:06:17 AM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013  Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com <javascript:>>wrote:
>
> > "it's just blather." = ad hominem
>>

> It is not ad hominem if it really is blather. I would define "blather" as
> a sound or a sequence of ASCII symbols with zero informational content
> because it means nothing, as in a burp, or because it means something self
> contradictory, such as "free will" or "X is not random or deterministic".

Translation: Anything that I don't agree with makes no sense and whoever
says these things is subject to my ad hominem comments in lieu of valid
criticism.

> A statement presented without justification, like "computers can never be
> conscious like you and I are" is not blather, just dull and dumb.

Yet that is the opinion which I share with a neuroscientist who actually
works in the field. Maybe your armchair opinion is just dull, dumb, blather?

Craig