On 2/24/2013 1:19 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:24:47 AM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:

    On Sat, Feb 23, 2013  Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
wrote:

        > I guess you are serious then that you think that a computer can tell
whether
        an mp3 is supposed to be music or graphics.

    If the computer can not tell the difference between a picture file and a
music file
    then it will have a nervous breakdown and crash. You can prove this by
lying to the
    computer and deliberately misleading it, just rename the picture file
picture.gif to
    picture.mp3 and see what happens. If looks like a picture file to the
computer but
    you're telling it that it's a music file, the contradictory information
will totally
    confuse the poor machine and it will die.

There's no contradiction in information that relates to the difference between audio and visual experience. You could open either the mp3 or gif as sound or image if you used an app which would allow opening raw data. It used to be easier to do that, but our freedom and control over the software that we run has steadily declined over the years.

Right. And you have no choice whether to experience acoustic pressure waves as sound or images. But if you have synasthesia you may experience both.