On Sunday, February 24, 2013 5:21:28 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

> On Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:24:47 AM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013  Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  > I guess you are serious then that you think that a computer can tell
>>> whether an mp3 is supposed to be music or graphics.
>>>

>> If the computer can not tell the difference between a picture file and a
>> music file then it will have a nervous breakdown and crash. You can prove
>> this by lying to the computer and deliberately misleading it, just rename
>> the picture file picture.gif to picture.mp3 and see what happens. If looks
>> like a picture file to the computer but you're telling it that it's a music
>> file, the contradictory information will totally confuse the poor machine
>> and it will die.
>>

> There's no contradiction in information that relates to the difference
> between audio and visual experience. You could open either the mp3 or gif
> as sound or image if you used an app which would allow opening raw data. It
> used to be easier to do that, but our freedom and control over the software
> that we run has steadily declined over the years.
>

> Right.  And you have no choice whether to experience acoustic pressure
> waves as sound or images.  But if you have synasthesia you may experience
> both.

The difference is that we can tell when we have synesthesia, but a computer
can't. As long as it has the data, it doesn't care whether or not there is
an expectation of audio or visual presentation... because there is no
reason to suspect a higher level of presentation for a computer, other than
assuming the pathetic fallacy by failure of imagination.

Craig