On 2/26/2013 1:24 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

How did number arise? We don't know that, but we can show that if we don't assume them, or equivalent (basically anything Turing Universal), then we cannot derive them.

I'm not sure how you mean that? We know that we experience individual objects and so we can count them by putting them in one-to-one relation with fingers or notches or marks. So what are you calling an "assumption" in this?