On 2/27/2013 2:35 PM, John Mikes wrote:
Allow me please, one more remark:
my ID for an axiom is */a "ground-rule" derived to facilitate the acceptance of
a theory./*
I suspect the axioms were invented AFTER the theoretical considerations to make them acceptable.

Feynman talked about the difference between Greek mathematics and Persian mathematics. The former started from axioms that were assumed true and derived theorems. The latter considered some set of theorems and asked what different axiom sets might entail them.

Brent

They are called axioms because we cannot justify their acceptability.
I am not ready to defend this.
JM