On 2/28/2013 4:48 PM, Stephen P. King wrote:
On 2/28/2013 2:29 PM, meekerdb wrote:
On 2/28/2013 10:59 AM, Stephen P. King wrote:
On 2/28/2013 10:33 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com <mailto:whatsons...@gmail.com>> wrote:

        >> It is a basic law of logic that if X is not Y and X is not not Y
then X is

    > X = alcohol   Y = poison.
    becomes "alcohol is not poison and alcohol isn't not poison"

Exactly, and 2 negatives, like "isn't not" cancel each other out so you get "alcohol is not a poison and alcohol is a poison" which is gibberish just like I said.

Alcohol both is and isn't a poison, duh! It is the quantity that makes the difference. Are you too coarse to notice that there are distinctions in the real world that are not subject to the naive representation of Aristotelian syllogisms.

    > If there were no free will then nobody could choose to assert anything,
    anything, or speak anything other than gibberish.

Cannot comment, don't know what ASCII symbols "free will" mean.

And we can safely assume that all text that is emitted from the email johnkcl...@gmail.com is only accidentally meaningful, aka gibberish as well, as it's referents where not chosen by a conscious act.

I think we're safe in assuming that they are emitted by a process that is either random or deterministic.

Hi Brent,

Perhaps you are trapped in a false dichotomy. Both of those terms (random and deterministic) assume, ISTM, a classical model of the universe. I accept the classical model only as a cartoon that has worked so so for a long time, but has outlived it utility. We know better, the universe is quantum mechanical. I believe that our minds are only capable of comprehending Boolean representable (or degradations thereof) concepts of the universe, thus we fail miserably to comprehend what it means to live in a QM universe.

So what's your third way that is neither random nor deterministic?