On Friday, March 1, 2013 3:10:30 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

> On 3/1/2013 11:03 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
> > If we have some written characters is it possible to categorize them
> optically, but
> > these categories don't lead to discovery of any phonetic information.
>
> Sure they do.  Just try
> http://www.naturalreaders.com/howto.php?referp=mainbar

No. That is an example of taking data associated with optical characters
and data associated with sound card signals as two given data sets and
deriving a relationship statistically. If you don't have one of those data
sets however, for example, if I make up a written language of symbols and I
decide whether or not those symbols have sounds associated with them, the
computer has no idea what I have decided. It makes no difference whether
it's my private ad hoc language or a language with millions of speakers.

> > Likewise, phonetic information doesn't lead to any semantic
> information.
>

> Have it read "Fetch the paper." to you dog and see if there's semantic
> information.  Or if
> you have a modern house, have it read "Lights ON."

That depends on whether the dog understands the commands or not, doesn't
it? I remember back in the days when remote controls were actually
'clickers'. The Zenith console color TV did indeed respond differently to
the three different metallic clicks the remote made - and it also responded
randomly to keys jangling, coins spilling out on a glass table, loud
noises, etc. There is *nothing* semantic about conditioned response
behaviorism. It doesn't matter how many knee-jerk twitches you put together
or in what order, they are still always going to be empty, mindless
mechanisms.

Craig