On 3/1/2013 4:32 PM, meekerdb wrote:
On 3/1/2013 12:52 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Friday, March 1, 2013 3:33:03 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

    On 3/1/2013 12:20 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
    It doesn't matter how many knee-jerk twitches you put together
    or in what order, they are still always going to be empty,
    mindless mechanisms.

    Repeated assertions aren't evidence.

It's interesting because my assertion is rooted in the same understanding, but you are applying a double standard. I say that repeated mechanical assertions aren't anything other than that. You say that they aren't evidence...but how do you know?

For one thing because you contradict them yourself. You just posted, in reply to Bruno, "I don't know that all machines cannot think" Then you turn around and assert,"they are always going to be empty mindless mechanisms."

If a mechanical potato peeler can someday learn to taste potatoes, then maybe repeated assertions can become evidence?

If the potato peeler has a choice and chooses to peel potatoes more than tomatoes then that will be evidence. It's same kind of evidence that would tell you whether a human being preferred potatoes to tomatoes.

Hi Brent,

Could you speculate a model of how a potato peeler can make such a choice?

I suppose you heard about the guy who worked in at fast food place and developed an irrational urge to put his penis in the potato peeler. He knew something bad would happen but he couldn't stop himself from thinking about it. He finally went to a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist told him that if he couldn't stop thinking about it he might as well try it. So he did.

When he got home from work, he told his wife what he'd done.

She said,"Oh, my God!" and rushed to pull down his pants. She looked at him and said, "What happened to the potato peeler?"

He said, "I think she got fired too."

Onward!

Stephen