On 01 Mar 2013, at 17:05, Roger Clough wrote:

As I observed previously, there was a fork in the road
of the path of science back in the 17th century at which,
given the Cartesian choice, Newton considered reality
to consist of the physical-- which means entities
such as matter which are extended in space.

Leibniz, on the other hand, argued that physical
or extended existence is not reality, instead,
inextended or mental existence  is the true reality,
that the physical world we see is, to use Kant's term,
phenomenol, although it appears "as if" matter is solid
and experiments  can be performed on it, and
you can still stub your toe, etc.

Such issues are argued by Leibniz with a
friend of Newton's a Mr. Claeke, in a series of
correspondences. To back up Leibniz' position,
the major physical quantities are actually
inextended in space, and only becoime apparent
or measurable when they act of physical bodies.
These include

force
mass
temperature
momentum

Kant pointed out, in addition, that space and time
are only mental intuitions. So I might add

distance
time

to the above list. If not phenomenol, time and distance
are known to be relative quantities since Einstein.

I agree, but the main fork toward physicalism is already in Aristotle, especially in the Christian literal interpretation of Aristotle. Newton just repeated this view when Descartes, and Leibniz came back on the mind-body problem.

Bruno

- Roger Clough