On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> He does talk about QM statistical randomness as far as synaptic activity
> goes,  but he states clearly here:
> "How exactly such weights or probabilities of firing might work is not
> understood, but Tse argues that weights would constitute
> "informational" criteria as opposed to being simply physical. They
> could represent mental events that supervene on the physical brain
> events."
> This sounds a lot more like teleology than randomness or determinism.

It's still random. I could claim that random events in my brain are a
manifestation of the mental acting on the physical but that's
meaningless, since there is no substantive difference between that
claim and its contradiction.

>> It has to
>> be either random or determined.
> Says who? The entity whose every uttering is a random or determined
> jittering of meaningless neural activity?

Yes, and everyone else who understands what "random" and "determined"
mean, including apparently Tse.

>> If you say it's something else you're
>> making up something that is not only physically but also logically
>> impossible.
> A clearer statement of psuedoskeptical prejudice I could not hope for. But I
> can't blame you - all of your responses are generated randomly or
> automatically and so cannot possibly contain any intentional meaning.

So you believe that if something is either random or determined it
cannot have meaning? Then you believe that nothing has any meaning.

Stathis Papaioannou