Let´s say that what we call "information" is an extended form of sensory
input. What makes this input "information" is the usability of this input
for reducing the internal entropy of the receiver or increase the internal
order. The receiver can be a machine, a cell, a person or a society for
example. If the input do not produce this effect in the receiver, then that
input is not information.

2013/3/2 William R. Buckley <bill.buck...@gmail.com>

> >Thinking about how information content of a message
>
> Big mistake.  Information is never contained with but
> exactly one exception, an envelope.
>
> I made this point with Jesper Hoffmeyer regarding a
> statement in his book Biosemiotics, that information
> is represented but not contained in that representation.
> That marks of chalk upon slate may be taken to represent
> information at a meta level above the reality of streaks
> of a deformed amorphous solid has nothing to do with
> the information represented by that deformation, nor the
> increase of entropy associated with the greater disorder
> obtained from that deformation; these are but three of
> the *informations* to be found upon review of those
> streaks.  Entropy is how nature sees information (not
> yet an established fact but I think the tea leaves read
> clear enough) but that has (presumably) nothing to do
> with how intelligent individuals see information, or
> as von Uexküll called such phenomena, signs.
>
> Most definitely the information is not to be found
> within the material of its expression, its representation.
> Rather, the information is already to be found within the
> interpreter.
>
> That which is information is so by virtue of the acceptor
> of that information; else, it is noise.
>
> And, write the information on a piece of paper and seal
> the paper within an envelope and you may justifiably
> claim that the information is contained; else, you are
> deluding yourself.
>
> >has an inversely proportionate relationship with the
> >capacity of sender and receiver to synchronize with
> >each other.
> >

> ....<snip>
>
> wrb

Alberto.