On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:53:31 AM UTC-5, Alberto G.Corona wrote:

> Let´s say that what we call "information" is an extended form of sensory
> input. What makes this input "information" is the usability of this input
> for reducing the internal entropy of the receiver or increase the internal
> order. The receiver can be a machine, a cell, a person or a society for
> example. If the input do not produce this effect in the receiver, then that
> input is not information.

The increase of internal order of the receiver is a symptom of an
experience of being informed but they are not the same thing. It's not
really even relevant in most cases. I would not call it an extended form of
sensory input, but a reduction of sensory experience. Input is not a
physical reality, it is a conceptual label.

Consider Blindsight:

I hold up two fingers and ask how many fingers?

"I don't know.'

Guess

'two'.

This example tells us about information without tying it to decreased
entropy. My two fingers are a form. I am putting them into that form, so
the process of my presenting my fingers is a formation of a sign.

The sign is not information at this point. It means something different to
an ant or a frog than it does to a person looking at it. If you can't see,
there is no formation there at all unless you can collide with my fingers.

When the patient responds that they don't know how many fingers, it is
because they personally have no experience of seeing it. They are not being
informed personally by the form of my fingers in front of their face
because they have blindsight.

When they guess correctly, they still have not been informed. Only we know
that the information is correct. At this point you could say that there is
some decrease in information entropy of the receiver as far as we are
concerned, but in fact, for the receiver themselves, they have not
increased any internal order.

A machine has blindsight about everything. They can be queried and produce
valid responses to inform us, but they are never informed themselves. There
is no 'in' in a machine, it is an organization of forms which treat other
forms in a proscribed way. Forms are copied, transformed, and presented in
a context that it has no experience of. My computer sees nothing that I see
on this screen. It reads nothing that I type here. It doesn't know what the
Everything List is - not even Google knows what it is - only that the
string of characters in the name is to be associated with an ip address.

Craig