On 3/6/2013 10:45 AM, John Clark wrote:
"I just saw the movie "Beowulf", it's a pretty good movie but what is of interest is the stunning advance in animation achieved by good old Moore's Law. There were times when I could swear I was looking at a real human being not something a computer produced. However there is something puzzling, all the voices in the movie were still made by human beings. An innocent might think that as video is a much higher bandwidth media than audio video would be harder to simulate than audio, but apparently that is not the case."

I don't think it's that audio is harder to synthesize, I think it's just that audio is a lot cheaper to produce the old fashioned way. If you wanted some really unusual audio special effects it might be cheaper to synthesize them.