On Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:39:25 AM UTC-5, William R. Buckley wrote:

> I have before claimed that the computer is
> a good example of the power of semiosis.
>
> It is simple enough to see that the mere
> construction of a Turing machine confers
> upon that machine the ability to recognise
> all computations; to generate the yield of
> such computations.
>
> In this sense, a program (the source code)
> is a sequence of signs that upon acceptance
> brings the machine to generate some
> corresponding yield; a computation.
>
> Also, the intention of an entity behind sign
> origination has nothing whatsoever to do with
> the acceptability of that sign by some other
> entity, much less the meaning there taken for
> the sign.
>
> The meaning of a sign is always centered upon
> the acceptor of that sign.

I agree but I don't think the machine can accept any sign. It can copy them
and perform scripted transformations on them, but ultimately there is no
yield at all. The Turing machine does not no that it has yielded a result
of a computation, and more than a bucket of water knows when it is being
emptied. In fact, you could make a Turing machine out of nothing but
buckets of water on pulleys and it would literally be some pattern of
filled buckets which is supposed to be meaningful as a sign or yield to the
'machine' (collection of buckets? water molecules? convection currents?
general buckety-watery-movingness?)

Craig