On Thursday, March 7, 2013 12:37:35 PM UTC-5, William R. Buckley wrote:

> A machine can accept sign and yield alteration of
>
> its configuration (add to its parts, delete from its
>
> parts but most of all alter the complexity of its
>
> parts and their arrangement) such that the machine
>
> develops its ability to:
>

> 1.       accept sign – one yield you did not consider

What does this mean in terms of the buckets?

> 2.       increase the complexity of constructs – another
>
> yield you did not consider

Again, complexity is our value, not the machine's. The bucket brigade
doesn't know it the patterns form the Gettysburg Address or just all half
gull.

> 3.       acquire Turing competence from incompetence – a
>
> third yield you did not consider

We don't need to consider any of the yields which are sought by the user of
the machine, only those which yield something to the machine itself - which
I don't think it any. To the machine, it make no difference whether it is
running the same meaningless exercise for 10,000 years or if it is
communicating with an alien civilization for the first time. It doesn't
care whether it is running or not.

Craig