On 08/03/2013, at 2:43 AM, "Stephen P. King" <stephe...@charter.net> wrote:

>> Yes, we know that classical determinism is wrong, but it is not logically
>> inconsistent with consciousness.
>
>     I must disagree. It is baked into the topology of classical mechanics
> that a system cannot semantically act upon itself. There is no way to define
> intentionality in classical physics. This is what Bruno proves with his
> argument.

To act on itself, as far as I can understand it, would mean to be uncaused or
truly random, which is indeed incompatible with determinism. But why should
that have anything to do with "intentionality"?

>> It is also not logically inconsistent with choice and free will,  unless you
>> define these terms as inconsistent with determinism, in which case in a
>> deterministic world we would have to create new words meaning pseudo-choice
>> and pseudo-free will to avoid misunderstanding, and then go about our
>> business as usual with this minor change to the language.
>
>     So you say...

Which part do you disagree with? That people can define free will differently?
Or that people wouldn't care if they learned that under a particular definition
they lack free will?