On 3/7/2013 2:49 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

    To act on itself, as far as I can understand it, would mean to be uncaused
or truly
    random, which is indeed incompatible with determinism. But why should that
have
    anything to do with "intentionality"?

What is intention if not acting on, or better 'through' yourself?

We use the word "intention" as distinct from acting. One might intend to do X but be prevented or change ones mind. So intention is having a plan of action with a positive feeling about it, a feeling of determination. All of which is compatible with determinism. The Mars rover probably has an intention to reach it's next sampling point.