On Thursday, March 7, 2013 5:55:02 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

> To act on itself, as far as I can understand it, would mean to be uncaused
>> or truly random, which is indeed incompatible with determinism. But why
>> should that have anything to do with "intentionality"?
>>

> What is intention if not acting on, or better 'through' yourself?
>

> We use the word "intention" as distinct from acting.

No, it's an adjective also. We can act intentionally or unintentionally.
The difference is a key concept in all justice systems in history.

>   One might intend to do X but be prevented or change ones mind.  So
> intention is having a plan of action with a positive feeling about it, a
> feeling of determination.

You don't need to plan to do something intentionally.

> All of which is compatible with determinism.

How so? Please explain and give an example.

>   The Mars rover probably has an intention to reach it's next sampling
> point.

There probably is no Mars rover except in our intention to see it that way.

Craig