On 3/7/2013 5:37 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
Alex Trebek: This tool can unclog a toilet.
Watson: What is a plunger?
Telmo Menezes: look Watson, I have a problem. My wife is mad at me and
I don't know why. I suspect it's because I didn't buy her flowers for
Valentine's, but she keeps telling me that she doesn't want them. Can
you give me some advice? Also, how does it feel to be you? It must be
so weird to not have a body. Am I offending you?

Watson: [exercise left to the reader]

Can Watson figure out how to unclog a toilet?

  Watson can't unclog a toilet and neither can Stephen Hawking because both
lack usable hands.
But Stephen Hawking can look at someone doing it and eventually figure
it out, and then instruct me to do exactly what he says and unclog the
toilet. Can Watson do that?

I'm not arguing that we cannot build machines that pass these tests,
but Watson is far, far, far from it.

Not for long, you should see the latest papers on Kernel method pattern recognition... But when Watson can pass the tests, he will be suing us for vis human rights and demanding welfare. He might be lurking in Everything <https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#%21forum/everything-list> already and taking down names...

--
Onward!

Stephen