Right, we basically agree. At the low level where optics are being
processed, it seems to me to be more accurate to say the brain is creating
the constructions. Another way to say it is that kittens and babies are
probably born with the neural circuits that implement those shortcuts -
optimizations implemented through genetics. Whereas with the kind of
construction that is created by the mind, it seems to me that those
constructions live at a higher level - the psychological - and arise as a
result of experience and learning. I don't really think that is what's
going on with optical illusions since they are so universal. But that is
quibbling - whichever of us is more correct, it's beside the point
regarding whether optical illusions have a mechanistic explanation.

Terren