On 3/7/2013 10:40 PM, Terren Suydam wrote:
I'm game. Which puzzle are we figuring out?

    A solution to Bruno's 'arithmetic body problem'.

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM, Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net <mailto:stephe...@charter.net>> wrote:

    On 3/7/2013 9:14 PM, Terren Suydam wrote:
    Right, we basically agree. At the low level where optics are
    being processed, it seems to me to be more accurate to say the
    brain is creating the constructions. Another way to say it is
    that kittens and babies are probably born with the neural
    circuits that implement those shortcuts - optimizations
    implemented through genetics. Whereas with the kind of
    construction that is created by the mind, it seems to me that
    those constructions live at a higher level - the psychological -
    and arise as a result of experience and learning. I don't really
    think that is what's going on with optical illusions since they
    are so universal. But that is quibbling - whichever of us is more
    correct, it's beside the point regarding whether optical
    illusions have a mechanistic explanation.
    Hi,

        OK then, I would rather work with you on figuring this puzzle
    out than spar with you over "who has the best explanation".  ;-)

    Terren

    On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Stephen P. King