On 07 Mar 2013, at 23:37, Telmo Menezes wrote:

Alex Trebek: This tool can unclog a toilet.
Watson: What is a plunger?

Telmo Menezes: look Watson, I have a problem. My wife is mad at me and
I don't know why. I suspect it's because I didn't buy her flowers for
Valentine's, but she keeps telling me that she doesn't want them. Can
you give me some advice? Also, how does it feel to be you? It must be
so weird to not have a body. Am I offending you?

Watson: [exercise left to the reader]

Watson: "buy her flower whatever she told you."

Can Watson figure out how to unclog a toilet?

Watson can't unclog a toilet and neither can Stephen Hawking because both
lack usable hands.

But Stephen Hawking can look at someone doing it and eventually figure
it out, and then instruct me to do exactly what he says and unclog the
toilet. Can Watson do that?

He might. Even simpler program can answer things like "call the fireman, or call that number", or "why would you be happy to unclog the toilet?".

I'm not arguing that we cannot build machines that pass these tests,
but Watson is far, far, far from it.

I am not sure. It is not programmed for such test, but it is not difficult to make "stupid program" capable of disengaging their responsibility. So watson could use both its richer semantical net, and many technics to hide its ignorance, and this will make it looking human for many people. I got a girl friend a long time ago who had a bad character, and succeed to write a program which she definitely believe that it was mad at her. That proves nothing of course, nor on her, nor on the programs, but people having problem wih people will have problem with machines. Intentional stances are unavoidable, with complex machinery. Look at the crash plane invetstigation series, you will see that since they have automated the driving of the plane a lot, some crashes are due to the pilot and the computer getting into a misunderstanding of each other.