On 08 Mar 2013, at 05:53, Terren Suydam wrote:

That's interesting to me too. Actually I'm surprised you are not more embracing of Bruno's ideas because they give life to the idea of conscious software. You seem to me to be reluctant to give up materialism, but philosophically speaking I think materialism dooms AI.

On the more theoretical side of things, I will say this. It occurred to me the other day that the trace of the UD (aka UD*) is a fractal, in that many of the programs executed by the UD are themselves universal dovetailers. It is reminiscent of the Mandelbrot set, in that there are many such paths (an infinite number) that replicate the UD but alter it in some small way. Every program generated by the UD in fact is replicated an infinite number of times, and also altered slightly an infinite number of times. I wonder if there are clues to the measure problem hidden in the fractal characteristics of the UD*. But that's wild-ass speculation. I don't have the mathematical chops to take that idea any further.

Very good remarks. The resemblance is so big that I do conjecture that the rational M set is actually a compact universal dovetailing. There has been some thread on this.
I love very much the M-set, and the zoom in and out.

Bruno