On Saturday, March 9, 2013 4:33:52 PM UTC-5, stathisp wrote:

> On 10/03/2013, at 6:03 AM, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> > But I can't blame you - all of your responses are generated randomly or
>>> automatically
>>>

>> But you can blame me, it doesn't matter if its random or mechanistic
>> everybody is always responsible for their actions, or at least I can see no
>> reason why they shouldn't be.
>>

> You think people should be held responsible for random events and events
> which they were powerless to stop? Just for fun?
>

> They are not powerless to stop them since if someone yells, "Hey, stop!"
> they may stop. This is the case even though the process is still
> deterministic or probabilistic.

In a deterministic universe, a person who is determined to steal a car will
steal it regardless of whether someone yells at them. If someone yelling at
the thief creates an opportunity for the them to exercise free will over
their own actions, then it is not a deterministic universe. You can yell at
a stone rolling down a hill as much as you want and there will be no change
in where the stone rolls.

> A court would not let you off if you got an expert witness in to say that
> you were not responsible for your crime due to the way your brain works.
> This is not because the judge does not believe the expert witness, it is
> because brain physics is not relevant to the question of responsibility for
> a crime.

When a suspect pleads insanity, they are saying precisely that the brain
physics is relevant to the question of responsibility for a crime. An
expert witness who can establish that you have a tumor in an area of your
brain which is associated with impulse control will have a very good chance
of convincing a judge that brain physics is indeed relevant.

Craig