On Sunday, March 10, 2013 7:59:11 PM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 1:16 AM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Sunday, March 10, 2013 12:16:06 AM UTC-5, Brent wrote:
> >>
> >> On 3/9/2013 7:38 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
> >>

> >> A person can resist their both their environment and genetic
> programming,
> >>

> >> And you know this how?
> >

> > Because identical twins can intentionally lead very different lives. We
> can
> > rebel against our parents, we can seek to compensate for genetic
> defects.
> > What is your basis for denying that we can resist given conditions?
>
> But the twins cannot resist their environment and genetic programming.

Why not? My nephew was short so he got hormone therapy and isn't short
anymore. We have build civilization intentionally. How could a genetic
sequence or an external influence cause you to invent television or
chocolate chip cookies?

> The way any system behaves is completely determined by its internal
> state and the external influences on it. You seem to believe that
> "intention" is somehow due to something other than these two factors,
> but what else could it be?

It is its own factor, actually the factor upon which internal and external
influences supervene. Intention is what is actually being influenced and it
is more or less what we experience it to be: the our direct and fully
enfranchised participation in our own lives as a person in the world. That
doesn't give us complete autonomy, nor does it give us the level of
autonomy that we might think we have - because there are other levels of
identity and consciousness beyond what we experience as part of what we
know we experience, but that you are confusing the complexity of the
reality of will with its absence.

Craig