On 3/10/2013 5:08 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Sunday, March 10, 2013 7:59:11 PM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:

    On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 1:16 AM, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com
<javascript:>>
    wrote:

    > On Sunday, March 10, 2013 12:16:06 AM UTC-5, Brent wrote:
    >>
    >> On 3/9/2013 7:38 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
    >>

    >> A person can resist their both their environment and genetic programming,
    >>

    >> And you know this how?
    >

    > Because identical twins can intentionally lead very different lives. We
can
    > rebel against our parents, we can seek to compensate for genetic defects.
    > What is your basis for denying that we can resist given conditions?

    But the twins cannot resist their environment and genetic programming.

Why not? My nephew was short so he got hormone therapy and isn't short anymore.

Why hormone therapy?  Why didn't he just use his free will to grow taller?

We have build civilization intentionally. How could a genetic sequence or an external influence cause you to invent television or chocolate chip cookies?

By determining your intentions.

    The way any system behaves is completely determined by its internal
    state and the external influences on it. You seem to believe that
    "intention" is somehow due to something other than these two factors,
    but what else could it be?

It is its own factor,

In other words "magic".

actually the factor upon which internal and external influences supervene. Intention is what is actually being influenced and it is more or less what we experience it to be: the our direct and fully enfranchised participation in our own lives as a person in the world. That doesn't give us complete autonomy, nor does it give us the level of autonomy that we might think we have - because there are other levels of identity and consciousness beyond what we experience as part of what we know we experience, but that you are confusing the complexity of the reality of will with its absence.

And you're confusing its complexity with magic.