On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I didn't say that. I said "When five billion of them jump to attention at
> once, it  is **often** because of something that the person is experiencing
> intentionally,". Biochemistry, among other things, can cause billions of
> neurons to react, but also intentional thought can do that with no external
> force.
>
>> You need to find
>> some experimental evidence for this, and astound the scientific world.
>

> Straw man cabaret continues..

You claim that I don't understand you and perhaps I don't. I'm not
deliberately constructing straw man arguments.

The scientific conception of neurons is that *nothing* in them happens
without a physical reason, ever. When a person decides to do
something, this corresponds to certain changes in his brain, and these
changes all follow absolutely rigidly from the physical laws
describing electrochemical reactions. This applies to every molecule
in the brains in those fMRI pictures you have referenced. You may not
be able to predict exactly what the brain will do but you can't
predict much simpler systems such as where a billiard ball will end up
after bouncing off several cushions either, and that does not lead you
to doubt that it is mechanistic.

In the standard scientific view, spontaneously excitable cells are
just a special subtype of excitable cells and still follow absolutely
rigidly the physical laws describing electrochemical reactions. Google
"excitable cells" and you can read about it. If I understand your
view, you think that "spontaneous" means there is neuronal activity
not explained by these rigid physical laws. That must be evident in
some experiment or observation; for otherwise the brain would follow
the rigid physical laws in a machine-like way, which you do not
believe is the case.

Can you explain if I have this wrong where exactly I have it wrong?

--
Stathis Papaioannou