On Monday, March 18, 2013 7:57:06 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

>  On 3/18/2013 1:02 PM, John Mikes wrote:
>

>  friends:
> don't put so much brain-grease into Free Will, please!
>

> I'm not.  That's why I was careful to distinguish freedom and the feeling
> of freedom from will and the feeling of resolve.  We can have them
> together, but that doesn't make them into one thing.
>
>  It is the religious mambo-jumbo put into the mind of the poor-believers
> in ancient times to make them responsible for deeds the powerful disliked -
> and consequently: make them punishable.
>

> I don't think that's right.  The idea of responsibility was taken for
> granted.  It was only after the development of Newtonian mechanics that the
> idea that human actions might be deterministic was conceived.  Then "free
> will" became the reactionary idea to preserve the traditional ideas of
> resposibility.

"The early Greek atomists such as Democritus (c.460-370 BCE) and Leucippus
(c. 5th cent. BCE) were the first to see the universe as being purely
mechanicalistic. The one surviving quote from Leucippus's work asserts a
universal determinism: "Nothing happens at random, but everything from
rational principle and of necessity."-
http://www.scandalon.co.uk/philosophy/determinism.htm

Craig