On 3/22/2013 5:10 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
Hi John,

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 7:20 PM, John Clark<johnkcl...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 Telmo Menezes<te...@telmomenezes.com>  wrote:
>

>> >TED recently censured two talks by Rupert Sheldrake and Graham Hancock.
>> >Did did it one the grounds of
>>classifying their claims as pseudo-science.
>

>My respect for TED just went up several notches.
>

>> >I find this disturbing
>

>Ted has a good reputation. They want to keep it.
Sure, and with a strong incentive to do so, at 6000$+ a ticket. They
don't pay the speakers and have major sponsors, so I'm sure it's a
quite profitable business. What bothers me, though, is precisely what
is necessary to do nowadays to protect one's reputation. I'm not sure
what it feels like, but it doesn't feel like freedom.

TED is techo-entertainment, and as far as I'm concerned they don't have much of a reputation in science education. I'm all for using some gee-whiz presentations to get people interested in science; but it shouldn't be mistaken for science.

>> >they are just proposing hypothesis based on experience.
>

>They are proposing a hypothesis to explain a phenomenon that, despite the
>best efforts of many for well over a century, nobody can show exists.
Possibly because it doesn't, but that's a very narrow view of what
Sheldrake is talking about. Graham Hancock is talking about his
personal experiences with ayahuasca. Do you believe he is lying?

Is he lying when he says what? He says he's not claiming any referents outside subjective experience. So I have no reason to doubt that he's reporting what he experienced. If there are interpersonal consistencies in those experiences it may tell us something interesting about the human brain.