On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net>wrote:

>  "In 1936 Tarski proved a fundamental theorem of logic: the *undefinability
> of truth*.   Roughly speaking, this says there's no consistent way to
> extend arithmetic so that it talks about 'truth' for statements about
> arithmetic.  Why not?  Because if we *could*, we could cook up a
> statement that says "I am not true."  This would lead to a contradiction,
> the Liar Paradox: if this sentence is true then it's not, and if it's not
> then it is.
>
> This is why the concept of 'truth' plays a limited role in most modern
> work on logic... surprising as that might seem to novices! ..."
>

> https://plus.google.com/u/0/117663015413546257905/posts/jJModdTJ2R3https://plus.google.com/u/0/117663015413546257905/posts/jJModdTJ2R3

You might consider then the futility of noodling the ontology of
comp/numbers, when that is the framework of discussion, and try to find
flaws in the reasoning instead.

If you decide to play monopoly, it doesn't help much to doubt the existence
of the board or paper money as primary รค la "this paper money can't buy me
anything in the store! It isn't real! Nobody really uses this currency."

Focus is on the reasoning once we permit the frame; not on some sought
absolute validity or attribute of the same.

PGC---