On Saturday, March 23, 2013 12:58:52 PM UTC-4, John Clark wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013  Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com <javascript:>>wrote:
>
>  >> In the first place with the exception of organized religion no area of
>>> human activity has as long a history of fraud as psi research.
>>>

>> > Not banking, not patent medicine, not pyramid schemes, not politics,
>> not war profiteers, but psi research.
>>

> That is correct.
>

>>  >> In the second place if you knew you had great experimental ability
>>> you'd never go into a field as dead and moribund as psi that hasn't moved
>>> an inch in well over a century.
>>>

>> > Your usual condemnation of people you deem 'not winners'...because
>> understanding nature is a sport, apparently. [...] Winners winning always
>> win. Go team!
>>

> You seem to have a unusual fondness for losers and being on the wrong side
> of history, so I would suggest you just keep going on your present course,
> although a tad more interest in astrology and flying saucers and bigfoot
> and creationism wouldn't hurt.

I couldn't have any more interest in astrology if I tried. I have been
analyzing charts since 1988. Astrology and numerology are by far the most
interesting and useful subjects that I have ever encountered in my life.
Considering how history has turned out, I think that being on the wrong
side is probably a good bet.

>  >> On the other hand if you knew you were all thumbs in the lab then psi
>>> research would be a perfect career choice for you because a bad
>>> experimentalist is better than a good one if you're looking for something
>>> that doesn't exist.
>>>

>> > Because there's so many juicy grants out there? Because it's such a
>> great way to attain prestige? Hah.
>>

> A junk science book is far far more likely to make it onto the best seller
> list than even a very good science book, and there has always been big
> money to be made with quack medicine.

Maybe it's because people are being told that their lives are an illusion
and what matters is dark, quantum, and mechanically undead in a vacuum.

> > The fact that this line of inquiry refuses to go away might be true for
>> a reason.
>

> There is a reason it won't go away, everybody including yours truly would
> just love for it to be true, but unfortunately wishing does not make it so.
>

> > If we had the Everything List in 1070 and it was suggesting that disease
>> were caused by invisibly small beasts multiplying in our flesh, the
>> skeptical position would have held that this nonsense should be stamped out.
>>

> In 1070 there was zero evidence for the existence of invisibly small
> beasts multiplying in our flesh but today there is;

And if you had your way, anyone who was looking for that evidence would be
banished or blamed for angering God.

> In 1070 there was zero evidence for the existence of the paranormal and
> exactly the same thing is true today.

You wouldn't know if there was evidence, because you would accuse anyone
who finds any of lying before considering it.

> Although you will chastise me for saying I prefer life over death
> paranormal research is a dead field; and you don't need a 10 billion dollar
> particle accelerator to investigate this stuff, if these simple easy
> experiments were valid then today the paranormal would not be controversial
> because its existence would have been proven to everyone's satisfaction way
> back in the time of Newton if not earlier, and today high school kids,
> perhaps grade school kids, would be repeating these classic 17'th century
> experiments in their science fair projects. They're not.

They had radiation shielded safe rooms and MRIs in Newton's day?

Craig