On Monday, March 25, 2013 6:26:00 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 24 Mar 2013, at 20:25, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>

> On Sunday, March 24, 2013 1:44:01 PM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> On 24 Mar 2013, at 12:53, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>>

>> On Sunday, March 24, 2013 7:13:27 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Right, I'm not arguing this as evidence of non-comp. Even if there was
>>> non-comp activity in the brain, nothing that we could use to detect it
>>> would be able to find anything since we would only know how to use an
>>> exrternal detection instrument computationally. Mainly I posted this to
>>> show the direction that the scientific evidence is leading us does not
>>> support any kind of narrow folk-neuroscience of point to point
>>> chain-reactions.
>>>

>>> Good.

>>> How do you know that it seem neuron driven rather than whole brain
>>> driven?
>>>

>>> In neurophilosophy, they are used to global complex and distributed
>>> brain activity, but still implemented in term of local computable rules
>>> obeyed by neurons.
>>>

>> If you look at a city traffic pattern, you will see local computable
>> rules obeyed by cars, but that doesn't mean there aren't non-computable
>> agendas being pursued by the drivers.
>>

>> Indeed.
>>
>> But that is what you get at the Turing universal threshold. If you look
>> at the computer's functioning, you will see local computable rules obeyed
>> by the gates, but that doesn't mean there aren't non-computable agendas
>> being pursued by genuine person supported by those computations.
>>

> Absolutely, but does it mean that it has to be a genuine person? To me it
> makes sense that the natural development of persons may be restricted to
> experiences which are represented publicly in zoological terms. The
> zoological format is not the cause of the experience but it is the minimum
> vessel with the proper scale of sensitivity for that quality of experience
> to be supported. Trying to generate the same thing from the bottom up may
> not be feasible, because the zoological format arises organically, whereas
> an AI system skips zoology, biology, and chemistry entirely and assumes a
> universally low format.
>

> It is does not. Self-reference leads machine to develop multi-variated
> leves of "formatting".

Why would it, and how could it? I might find it convenient to invent an
entirely new spectrum of colors to keep track of my file folders, but that
doesn't mean that this new spectrum can just be 'developed' out of thin air.

> Consciousness does not seem to be compatible with low level unconscious
> origins to me. Looking at language, the rules of spelling and grammar do
> not drive the creation of new words. A word cannot be forced into common
> usage just because it is introduced into a culture. There is no rule in
> language which has a function of creating new words, nor could any rule
> like that possibly work.
>

> You ignore completely the notion of creative set or universal machine. You
> talk like if we could have a complete theory about them, but we can't,
> provably so if we are Turing emulable.
> You just communicate your feeling where the machine already can explain
> why their feeling can be misleading on this subject.

Any particular feeling can be misleading only relative to some other felt
expectation and felt realization. The existence of feeling itself can't be
misleading though. I don't know what you are saying that I am ignoring. I
don't deny that machines could be unintentionally creative, but it isn't
the same thing that we experience. We care, machines don't.

> If you could control the behavior of language use from the bottom up
> however, you could simulate that such a rule would work, just by
> programming people to utter it with increasing frequency. This would
> satisfy any third person test for the effectiveness of the rule, but of
> course would be completely meaningless.
>

> Don't confuse machine and language.

Interesting... aren't they both made of the same thing in Comp? Is there a
separate arithmetic truth which creates machines and one which creates
languages?

>>> What would it look like if the brain as a whole were driving the neurons?
>>>

>>> Either it would be like saying that a high level program can have a
>>> feedback on some of its low level implementations, which is not a problem
>>> at all, as this already exist, in both biology and computer science, or it
>>> would be like saying that a brain can break the physical laws, or the
>>> arithmetical laws and it would be like pseudo-philosophy.
>>>

>> What about the relation between high level arithmetic laws - like the
>> ones which allow for 1p subjectivity in UM, LM, etc and the programs which
>> support them?
>>

>> To eat or to be eaten relatively to the most probable universal
>> neighbors. The relations can be complicated.
>>

> Their being complicated is what I would expect from high level laws - but
> how is it that low level processes wind up being influenced by them? How
> does the law that says dumb code can begin to think for itself come to be
> followed by dumb code?
>

> ?
>
> How do low level processes know that they are subject to the commands of
the high level processes?

>> Not between the high level program and the low level program, but between
>> the X-Level truths and laws and all local functions?
>>

>> Above the substitution level, only god knows, but you can bet and
>> theorize locally, and, below the substitution level, you get the full
>> arithmetical mess, the union on all sigma_i formula, well beyond the
>> computable. It is not easy, but there are mathematical lanterns, and deep
>> symmetries, and deep self-referential insight.
>> It is a reality that the universal machines cannot avoid.
>>
>> It is the advantage of comp, you can translate the problem in arithmetic,
>> but it is not necessarily a "simple", sigma_1, problem.
>> There is a no universal panacea capable of satisfying all universal
>> machines at once, nothing is easy.
>> You have to look inward, eventually.
>>

> I won't be able to understand that, but it seems to me that if exotic
> capabilities like 1p awareness can be made up of dumb programmatic
> elements, then the top-down influence of potential intelligence must be
> equally important as the bottom-up blind stacking of logical operators. It
> seems like you want it both ways - that the higher order arithmetic magic
> of UMs are both separate from the primitive machines of today, but the
> potential for magic is inherent and inevitable strictly from inferences of
> the lowest arithmetic truths.
>

> Not at all, they are beyond. You still think about arithmetic like if
> incompleteness wasn't discovered.

I see incompleteness as a limitation on the ontology of arithmetic, but you
see it as an invitation to omnipotence. I don't understand why. Lots of
things are incomplete, but we don't assume that it means they are the
ground of being. Why not language? That seems much more incomplete and
creative than arithmetic.

Craig