On Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:34:58 AM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

> >> DanieL Dennett believes that free will is compatible with determinism.
> >> He doesn't like it when people define free will in such a way as to
> >> make it impossible.
> >

> > Well, I didn't say he was perfect, but at least he doesn't claim that
> free
> > will is an outright illusion or epiphenomenon. The notion that science
> needs
> > to be more 'creative' would be tough to pull off if you insist on the
> Laws
> > of Physics deny the possibility of free will by definition point of
> view.
>
> I also have a very simple and straightforward idea of free will: I
> exercise my free will when I make a choice without being coerced. I
> never said that the laws of physics deny the possibility of free will,
> but free will is impossible if you define it in such a way as to be
> incompatible with the laws of physics or even with logic.

Since free will has physical effects in our body and in the world, if it
violates the laws of physics then by definition those laws of physics are
incomplete. Logic has nothing to do with it since there is nothing logical
about free will, aka sensory-motor participation. There is no logical
source for it, or plausible function that it could serve.

What about your assertion that "I make a choice..." do you think is
supported by physics? What is I? Is it a field? Is it neurochemical? Can it
be built out of Tinkertoys? Can Tinkertoys make intentional choices?

Craig