On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:03:27 PM UTC-4, telmo_menezes wrote:
>
>> Hi Craig,
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> From the Quora http://www.quora.com/Board-**
>>> Games/What-are-some-fun-games-**to-play-on-an-8x8-**
>>> Checkerboard-besides-chess-**checkers<http://www.quora.com/Board-Games/What-are-some-fun-games-to-play-on-an-8x8-Checkerboard-besides-chess-checkers>
>>>
>>> This is interesting because I think it shows the weakness of the
>>> one-dimensional view of intelligence as computation. Whether a program can
>>> be designed to win or not is beside the point,
>>

>> That's not really fair, is it?
>>

> Why not?

How else can I counter your argument against intelligence as computation if
I am not allowed to use computation? My example would not prove that it's
what the brain does, but it would prove that it can be. You are arguing
that it cannot be.

>>> as it is the difference between this game and chess which hints at the
>>> differences between bottom-up mechanism and top-down intentionality
>>

>> I see what you're saying but I disagree. It just highlights the weak
>> points of tree-search approaches like min-max. What I gather from what
>> happens when one plays Arimaa (or Go): due to combinatorial explosion,
>> players (even human) play quite far away from the perfect game(s). The way
>> we deal with combinatorial explosion is by mapping the game into something
>> more abstract.
>>

> How do you know that any such mapping is going on? It seems like begging
> the question.

I don't know. I have a strong intuition in it's favor for a few reasons,
scientific and otherwise. The non-scientific one is introspection. I try to
observe my own thought process and I think I use such mappings. The
scientific reason is that this type of approach has been
used successfully to tackle AI problems that could not be solved with
classical search algorithms.

> Put another way, if there were top-down non-computational effort going
> into the game play, why would it look any different than what we see?
>

>> Our brain seems to be quite good at generating such mappings. We do it
>> with chess too, I'm sure. Notice that, when two humans play Arimaa, both
>> can count on each other's inabilities to play close to the perfect game. As
>> with games with incomplete information, like Poker, part of it is modelling
>> the opponent. Perhaps not surprisingly, artificial neural networks are
>> quite good at producing useful mappings of this sort, and on predicting
>> behaviours with incomplete information. Great progress has been achieved
>> lately with deep learning. All this fits bottom-up mechanism and
>> intelligence as computation. It doesn't prove anything because I can't
>> attach the code for an excellent Arimaa player but, on the other hand, if I
>> did I'm sure you'd come up with something else. :)
>>

> Except that playing Arimaa is not particularly taxing on the human player.
> There is no suggestion of any complex algorithms and mappings, rather it
> seems to me, there is simplicity.

The mappings don't have to be complex at all (in terms of leading to heavy
computations). That's precisely their point.

> The human finds no fundamental difference between the difficulty between
> Arimaa and Chess, yet there is a clear difference for the computer.

Yes, the classical chess algorithms are clearly not how we do it. I agree
with you there.

> Again, if this does not indicate that there the model of intelligence as
> purely an assembly of logical parts, what actually would? In what way is
> the Strong AI position falsifiable?

I agree, I don't think it's falsifiable and thus not a scientific
hypothesis in the Popperian sense. I see it more as an ambitious goal that
nobody even knows if it's achievable. You might be right, even if we manage
to create an AI that is undistinguishable from human intelligence. I prefer
to believe in Strong AI because I'm interested in it's consequences and in
the intellectual challenge of achieving it. That's all, to be honest.

On the other hand, your hypothesis is also not falsifiable.