http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/04/solid-liquid-states-of-matter/?cid=co6909034

Interesting Wired article. I think it supports the view that physics
actually still has a poor understanding of how microcosmic models scale up
to basic macrocosmic qualities. It seems clear to me that simplistic ideas
about matter as defined purely by bottom level atomic structure are
ultimately misguided. Emergent properties of fluidity do not emerge neatly
from one type of configuration. I wonder if anyone has considered that some
properties of substance can emerge from the other direction, from the top
down? Why can't the macrocosm define microcosmic behaviors too?

"Why can you stand on a glacier but not the ocean?