On Sunday, April 7, 2013 7:24:12 PM UTC-4, Russell Standish wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 11:38:24AM -0400, John Clark wrote:
> >

> > But why do you agree with the odds? If a very low ranking journal got
> > astonishingly lucky and published a paper of HUGE transcendental
> importance
> > before much higher ranked journals then it's just a matter of time
> before
> > the much higher ranked journals catch on and start publishing articles
> on
> > that subject of their own. But I'll tell you what, because I like you
> for a
> > limited time only I'm willing to increase the odds to 100 to 1; if you
> > accept this bet before noon tomorrow on the east coast of the USA and if
> > Science or Nature or Physical Review Letters publishes a positive
> article
> > about life after death before April 5 2014 I will give you $10,000, if
> none
> > of them do you only have to give me $100. But wait there's more! As a
> > special bonus if you win not only will I give you $10,000 but I will
> also
> > kiss your ass and give you 10 minutes to gather a crowd. Operators are
> > standing by, don't delay.
> >

> The top two journals have a policy of not even sending out half of
> their submissions to peer review. This editorial rejection rate really
> means that the next big thing will almost certainly not be published
> in Science or Nature. Of course this leads to high impact factors for
> those journals, as they're only publishing papers in established
> "bandwagon" fields, with lots of people citing each other's papers.
>
> What's somewhat disturbing is that a lot of middle ranked journals are
> now doing the same

This to me is revealing of the overall decline of science as tool of
Enlightenment into it's corrupt, indulgence-selling era. The same thing can
be seen with universities, as the prestige brand institutions are elevated
beyond the reach of anyone but the most overprepared students from the
wealthiest families, the value of a non-elite bachelor's degree level is
falling beneath the level of the debt it incurs. The stage is now set for a
kind of academic feudalism which is driven by careerism and accreditation
rather than learning and understanding. The fallout of this is that no
university can afford to support research outside of the bandwagon and
science becomes little more than a clergy for corporate legal departments.
Oh well, Western Civilization was a nice idea while it lasted.

Craig