On Monday, April 8, 2013 5:38:44 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 07 Apr 2013, at 19:20, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

> http://multisenserealism.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/33ost_diagram.jpg

> >> Yes our 3d model of the world is in our minds (not our brains). It's
> >> not "there" geometrically speaking.  Geometry and "there" are part of
> >> the model.  Dog bites man.
> >
> > Well, if you look into the paper, you see that authors take it
> > literally as in neuroscience mind means brain. Mind belongs to
> > philosophy.
>

> But mind is different from brain. And mind is part of both cognitive
> science and theoretical computer science. To identify mind and brain
> is possible in some strong non computationalist theories, but such
> theories don't yet exist, and are only speculated about. To confuse
> mind and brain, is like confusing literature and ink.
> Neurophilophers are usually computationalist and weakly materialist,
> and so are basically inconsistent.

If we used a logic automata type of scheme, then mind and brain would be
the same thing. Each bit would be an atomic configuration, and programs
would be atomic assemblies. Maybe this makes it easier to see why forms and
functions are not the same as sensory experiences, as no pile of logic
automata would inspire feelings, flavors, thoughts, etc. but would output
behaviors consistent with our expectations for those experiences.

Craig