As an European, this is all a bit foreign (and terrifying) to me.

>From what I read and hear from American friends I've worked with,
there's another disturbing aspect. Even if you don't get in through
sports, you have to essentially destroy your childhood by devoting all
of your free time to activities that look good (becoming a
quasi-professional violin player, running a charity, etc.). I suspect
this filters out the intelligent free-spirits. Possibly by design?
Also, it subtly maintins the class system. Helping your parents run a
farm in the middle of nowhere isn't the sort of "extra-curricular
activity" that the Ivy League seems interested in. I feel very
fortunate that I could get a good quality higher education while still
geting away with doing all the stupid stuff that young people are
supposed to do.

In Europe, everyone who applies to University does a number of
standardised tests, and the people with the best grades get in. The
unlucky ones can try again next year. That's all. No cover letters, no
life stories, no extra-curricular activities. I think we're right on
that one.