On Saturday, April 13, 2013 6:47:47 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 11 Apr 2013, at 21:18, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>

>>> With comp, matter relies on the numbers law, or Turing equivalent.
>>>

>> Matter also relies on geometry, which comp cannot provide.
>>

>> ?
>>

> Does that mean you think that comp can generate geometry, or that matter
> doesn't relay on geometry?
>

> "comp can generate geometry" does not mean something clear.

I think its pretty clear. Without a printer or video screen, my computer
cannot generate geometry. It doesn't matter how much CPU power or memory I
have, the functions will come no closer to taking on a coherent geometric
form somewhere. I can make endless computations about circles and pi, but
there is never any need for any literal presentation of a circle in the
universe. No actual circle is present.

> But what can be shown is that in the comp theory, you can assume only
> number (or combinators) and the + and * laws, this generates all the
> dreams, which can be shown to generate from the machine points of view,
> geometry, analysis, and physics.

That's only because you have given + and * the benefit of the dream to
begin with. Comp is tautology.

> Then we can compare physics with the empirical data and confirm of refute
> comp (but not proving comp).
> Since already Diophantus, but then systematically since Descartes, the
> relation between geometry and arithmetic are deep and multiple. It is a
> whole subject matter, a priori independent from comp.

What is the relation between comp and geometry?

Craig