On 14 Apr 2013, at 23:45, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On 15/04/2013, at 3:27 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

But of course that is not the case, as comp might be false, logically. Indeed, it can be shown refutable, and if the evidences were that physics is Newtonian, I would say that comp would be quite doubtful.

Comp implies that there is a substitution level, and it implies that if we look around us below that substitution level we must find the traces of the infinitely many parallel computations leading to our states (by the first person indeterminacy).

Comp implies that physics must be derived from arithmetic, and this leads to a MW sort of physics, both qualitatively (like in the UDA), and formally, when assuming the classical theory of knowledge, like in the translation of UDA in arithmetic. In that case we can generate the set of experimental configurations capable of refuting comp (or showing that we are in a second order simulation built to make us believe in non-comp).

There are other reason as well. A Newtonian physics uses action at a distance, arguably a non comp phenomenon. Newton was aware of that problem, and he already took this as a symptom that his physics was only an approximation, but this has been of course solved by relativity theory.