On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 10:15:24 PM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> >> Evolutionary psychology is no less falsifiable than any other aspect
> >> of evolution.
> >

> > The connection between heredity and physiology is readily falsifiable.
> The
> > dark moths survive to reproduce where conditions are dark and they blend
> in,
> > the light colored moths survive when they blend in to a light colored
> > environment, etc. This is not the case with psychology. Heredity is not
> > necessarily a meaningful factor in personality development. Psychology
> is
> > influenced far more by experience and environment. We can emulate the
> > psychology of another person, even a fictional person, but we cannot
> emulate
> > another person's body.
>
> But genetics will determine how your brain is influenced by experience
> and environment.

That would be difficult for genetics to anticipate factors in the
environment which have not been invented yet. The internet was not invented
until after I graduated college so I could not possibly have been
genetically predisposed to working with the internet, yet that has turned
out to be what I do for a living. All that we really know that genetics to
is code for protein. How genomes relate to phenomes is not well understood,
let alone how phenomes relate to experience, which is not understood at all.

> For something as complex as sexual orientation, for
> example, there must be something in the brain that either determines
> that a person will be homosexual or determines that a person will be
> homosexual given certain environmental factors.

Sexual orientation deals specifically with physiology and reproduction so
it is not surprising that a given individual's orientation would be
strongly correlated to biological factors. Even so there are many personal
and cultural variations within gender which would be ridiculous to assign
to a biological influence. (http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6300433_f520.jpg)

This is an interesting statistic:

"Identical twins have the same sexual orientation approximately 60% of the
time. If they are fraternal twins it happens approximately 16% of the time."

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080511164133AAE1SlZ

As they mention in the answer, identical twins are not genetically
identical, but it is interesting that the percentage is not higher. My own
dad is an identical twin and while they share some superficial traits,
psychologically they are closer to opposite than identical.

Craig