Think of psychology as being like a language. To tie a language purely to
evolution would be misleading. People do not speak French because the
climate of France or the architecture of the cities compels them to. People
in Quebec do not speak French because there is some geographic equivalence
which is manifested that way as an emergent property. Instead, language has
a completely different propagation, one which has some geographical
overlap, but the more scientific study of language looks at etymology and
history - to influential contributors like Shakespeare. Language is not
driven by public bodies, which have their own history aside from the one we
share, but by private experiences.

Craig