On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> But genetics will determine how your brain is influenced by experience
>> and environment.
>

> That would be difficult for genetics to anticipate factors in the
> environment which have not been invented yet. The internet was not invented
> until after I graduated college so I could not possibly have been
> genetically predisposed to working with the internet, yet that has turned
> out to be what I do for a living. All that we really know that genetics to
> is code for protein. How genomes relate to phenomes is not well understood,
> let alone how phenomes relate to experience, which is not understood at all.

This is repeating an obvious fallacy that you have used before. If I
make a rubber ball, I don't program into it how to behave when a
particular person comes along in a years time and kicks it in a
certain direction with a certain force. The ball will behave in an
almost unlimited variety of ways depending on what happens to it, but
its structure will determine exactly how it will behave. Similarly
with a brain, which is much more complex than a rubber ball.

>> For something as complex as sexual orientation, for
>> example, there must be something in the brain that either determines
>> that a person will be homosexual or determines that a person will be
>> homosexual given certain environmental factors.
>

> Sexual orientation deals specifically with physiology and reproduction so it
> is not surprising that a given individual's orientation would be strongly
> correlated to biological factors. Even so there are many personal and
> cultural variations within gender which would be ridiculous to assign to a
> biological influence. (http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6300433_f520.jpg)

As I said, genetics determines how the brain is influenced by
experience and environment. Genetically identical brains may evolve
differently over time due to a difference in environment. Even if the
environments were exactly the same (not an experiment we could ever do
in practice) genetically identical brains may evolve differently due
to random quantum events.

--
Stathis Papaioannou