On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 1:42 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Think of psychology as being like a language. To tie a language purely to
> evolution would be misleading. People do not speak French because the
> climate of France or the architecture of the cities compels them to. People
> in Quebec do not speak French because there is some geographic equivalence
> which is manifested that way as an emergent property. Instead, language has
> a completely different propagation, one which has some geographical overlap,
> but the more scientific study of language looks at etymology and history -
> to influential contributors like Shakespeare. Language is not driven by
> public bodies, which have their own history aside from the one we share, but
> by private experiences.

But language is tied to evolution, since we have evolved the ability
to speak, with large parts of the brain dedicated to this function.
The particular language we speak ultimately depends on what random
proto-language sounds came out and were associated with objects and
concepts.

--
Stathis Papaioannou